[vorbis-dev] longs

Monty xiphmont at fireball.mit.edu
Mon Sep 11 14:00:04 PDT 2000

> Please change all longs to int, and never use them in the future :)

Pardon me for being blunt, but 'no'.  That breaks far more than it fixes.

> They arent needed as on most platforms they are the same size. (which is the assumption made in the ogg code anyway)

Not true.

> The reason for this is i will have vorbis support on playstation 2, but long is 64 bits, and they are excruciatingly slow.

On some platforms, int is 16 bits, and this would break the code badly.  It's
true that my usage of long/int is slightly sloppy (I do use longs in many
unneccessary places) but there are just as many places where using int will
break things.  We'll need to work a bit harder on a solution; the only
reliable solution may well be to hardwire more Ogg types in autoconf...

Monty