[vorbis-dev] Vorbis on OS/2

Nick Burch gagravarr at SoftHome.net
Sun Sep 10 11:15:48 PDT 2000

Following a few months of lurking on the list, and vainly trying to get vorbis to compile
on os/2, I finally managed to get the nightly gzip from saturday to compile (fairly)
cleanly, and so have finally been able to play with Vorbis on my OS of choice :)

Using the EMX runtime system, and bash for OS/2 (along with a few ported GNU apps),
both configure and make work fine (except for ogg123 naturally). Oggenc seems to
work, and I've sucessfully encoded a few files using lame 3.86 with ogg support, and
played them back on a linux system.

When I came to have a go at playing them on os/2, I ran into some problems with the
examples. EMX needs stdout (but not stdin) set to binary mode to work properly. Could
someone with CVS access please add the following three lines below the WIN32
binary fix in examples/vorbisfile_example.c examples/encoder_example.c
examples/decoder_example.c

#ifdef __EMX__ /* OS/2 EMX System needs stdout set to binary */
      _fsetmode(stdout,"b");
#endif

With this in place, cat <ogg file> | vorbisfile_example > <wav file> followed by wavplay
<wav file> works fine

I'll take a look at ogg123 and see about the posibilities of making it work on os/2 once
I'm back at college in a few weeks. In the mean time, I'll put compiled versions of the
examples and oggenc on my site (http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1113/mpeg/) with some
alpha warnings so people can start playing with vorbis on os/2

Keep up the good work guys

Nick Burch