[vorbis-dev] Submitting patches for MacOS X

Michael Beattie mickyb at es.co.nz
Thu Sep 7 05:01:56 PDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:34:13PM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Unified diffs are the usual desired format. Is there anything significant
>
> Ok, I feel a little silly asking this, but I'm sure other people are
> curious as well.
>
> What are the common diff formats?  can you go thourgh a few a show
> snippets?  What's unified? (i usually just do diff file.a file.b)

most common is unified. (a lot easier to follow for humans)
(diff -u foo bar)

gives output like:

---- linenum something something ----
  this line stays the same
- this line hsa an error
+ this line has an error (well, not anymore)
  this line stays the same too

there are a few more padding lines that are static, so that patch can locate
the position if the line headers are out (due to file changes)

HTH.

I dont use the other formats, as -u is the defacto favourite for most
projects.

--

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb at es.co.nz)