[vorbis-dev] Windows CE support

Christian Czech cc at derago.com
Sun Sep 3 05:33:43 PDT 2000

> >my Pocket PC. After one minor change I got the lib compiled for Windows CE
> >3. Well I was really impressed after all.
>
> Is the minor change something that should be in mainline CVS? We DO want
> libvorbis to compile basically without changes on any platforms where we
> can make it do so. Writing a dll to wrap libvorbis is pretty easy (I think
> people have done it already) - but there are reasons why we don't really
> want to do this before vorbis 1.0 (binary compatibility has been broken at
> least twice in the last couple of months - having widely distributed dlls
> of libvorbis would have made this painful)

It was just #include <assert.h> in vorbisfile.c which I had to comment out :-) so
#ifndef UNDER_CE would be ok

I will write a small programm to play a file on CE to test if this is really enough. But it will be only possible to compile vorbis for Windows CE 3 (maybe 2.11 or higher too). Since then strcpy and other functions are available in a Unicode and 8bit char version. Older devices have only pure Unicode support.

> >My question is does anybody work already on a player for Windows CE or
> >Win32 or is interested to cooperate?

> I don't believe anyone is working on a standalone player with win32 - just
> on support for most of the popular existing programs. I'll help out with
> the libvorbis side of things if you have any troubles, but I'm not
> interested in actually helping write a player.

Me too but there are no players for CE with a dll-Interface. So it would be enough for me to have a player to select files and to say start, stop or skip and that it is not too much work to program. Well and if you play on a Mobile device it would be a good thing to copy the ogg file from a Compact Flash card or IBM Microdrive to internal memory before playing because this saves battery power.

CC