[vorbis-dev] Distribution Fixes

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Oct 27 13:25:31 PDT 2000

> * Jon Shiring (slothy at slothy.com) wrote at 20:12 on 26/10/00:
> > Ali Abdin wrote:
> > > Yes, there is a benefit. To be able to locate _WHERE_ you installed the
> > > files (location of headers and location of the libraries).
> >
> > How exactly is this helpful?  If you need to run any tests on it, you can
> > do compile tests, just like how autoconf does most checks for libraries.
> > If they have their libogg and libvorbis files elsewhere, they can set their
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  It's not our job to do a "find / libogg.so" (or "find /
> > ogg-config" for that matter) if they have their system set up oddly.
>
> My god! I never knew this would stir up so much controversy!!!

Frankly, the -config proposal replaces the appropriate mechanisms with
an inappropriate mechanism.  I'm not saying this to rile you (really),
but I sense it's mostly because you don't understand the appropriate
mechanisms well enough.

UNIX existed before GTK.  The new conventions GTK spawned have their
uses, but they're not appropriate as an all-purpose hammer to thwart
ld.so, autoconf, automake, gcc, the header files, etc.

> I am just saying it will make things convenient for programmers who wish to
> use vorbis/ogg. If you want to complicate their lives just for the sake of
> complication, fine go ahead (no need to get so bitter about it!) If you want
> to add this little convenience script (with no added costs/overhead to
> vorbis/ogg) then fine too.

Pure FUD.  The -config scripts are an unneccessary complication, not a
cure for complication.  You've not yet demonstrated a use of the
-config script not already handled more simply by a preexisting,
simpler mechanism.

Monty