[vorbis-dev] Distribution Fixes

Ali Abdin aliabdin at aucegypt.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:16:34 PDT 2000

* Jon Shiring (slothy at slothy.com) wrote at 20:12 on 26/10/00:
> Ali Abdin wrote:
> > Yes, there is a benefit. To be able to locate _WHERE_ you installed the
> > files (location of headers and location of the libraries).
>
> How exactly is this helpful?  If you need to run any tests on it, you can
> do compile tests, just like how autoconf does most checks for libraries.
> If they have their libogg and libvorbis files elsewhere, they can set their
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  It's not our job to do a "find / libogg.so" (or "find /
> ogg-config" for that matter) if they have their system set up oddly.

My god! I never knew this would stir up so much controversy!!!

I am just saying it will make things convenient for programmers who wish to
use vorbis/ogg. If you want to complicate their lives just for the sake of
complication, fine go ahead (no need to get so bitter about it!) If you want
to add this little convenience script (with no added costs/overhead to
vorbis/ogg) then fine too.

> > You are incorrectly making the assumption that if it is not in the path I
> > will "bomb out" of configure (which is what the macros will do).
> >
> > But I do not wish to do this. I wish to conditionally compile Ogg Vorbis
> > support (#ifdef HAVE_VORBIS).
>
> AC_CHECK_LIB(...) does not bomb out unless you tell it to as a condition of
> failing.  You can have it do whatever you want it to.  For example, licq
> has a check for openssl:
> AC_CHECK_LIB(ssl, SSL_new, WITH_OPENSSL="yes", WITH_OPENSSL="no")

Well, I'm not well versed in autoconf (as you can blatantly see).

Regards,
Ali