[vorbis-dev] Distribution Fixes

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Thu Oct 26 01:19:03 PDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Michael Smith wrote:

> >> Ogg and Vorbis shouldn't have -config scripts in the first place. But the
> >> argument applies to ao-config.
> >
> >I disagree. the -config scripts are a nice/easy way to get things such as the
> >prefix, cflags, and ldflags of the installed package.
>
> The simple argument is that getting this information isn't actually useful
> for libogg and libvorbis. They're two libraries, dependent on nothing else
> (other than libc), and known to be dependent on nothing else.
>
> The -config scripts are useful primarily so that a program knows which
> extra libraries it needs to link against. In the case of libao, there could
> be a whole list of those (like libesd, to name a problematic example).
> Since you don't need that for libogg and libvorbis, why bother with the
> scripts?
>
> It's not something that really matters, so if you're really set on having
> config scripts, there's no compelling reason to remove them. I don't expect
> anyone else would ever use them, though.

No - they /are/ needed. Lets say my package wants to compile with vorbis.
I can't just add -lvorbis (what if its not installed!) - With this method
you can just check for the library though.

But what if I want to check if the headers (found in -devel) are
installed (say I have a #include <vorbis/vorbisfile.h>) with vorbis, I
can figure out the include directory to pass to gcc. Otherwise I will
never really know where the header files are (and note: if -devel isn't
installed you can't compile (if you use the header files).

So I still maintain they are needed for people who wish to write
applications based on libvorbis/libogg (mainly for checking that header
files are installed, checking for the version of ogg/vorbis, and figuring
out the correct flags for linking with ogg/vorbis
(-I${vorbisprefix}/include -L{vorbisprefix}/lib etc.)

Regards,
Ali