[vorbis-dev] vorbis-tools: vorbiscomment problem

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Oct 25 17:58:55 PDT 2000

>I'm working on ogginfo, which should wrap vorbiscomment functionality
>in. It will have the added advantage of a clean beginning.  Please, lets
>either rewrite something or fold functionality into something else, rather
>than continue to hack on admitadly evil disgusting code. (:
>
>I'll have something going in ogginfo by next week that will do everything
>vorbis comment does, and more.

Ok. Please, kill off vorbiscomment as soon as you can. It doesn't deserve
to live.

Are you intending to add functionality to libvorbis that is really needed
for what vorbiscomment (and thus, presumably, ogginfo) does? There were two
things I thought needed adding - one because the API doesn't currently give
a way to set things up properly (which vorbiscomment gets around by knowing
stuff about libvorbis internals that it shouldn't). The other is needed to
give more control over page flushing at the ogg layer, which would make it
much faster (rewriting the entire file one page at a time isn't really
needed).

Michael