[vorbis-dev] vorbis-tools: vorbiscomment problem

rob at emusic.com rob at emusic.com
Wed Oct 25 12:05:27 PDT 2000

On 25 Oct, Michael Smith wrote:
> Last time I checked, vorbiscomment worked (for me, anyway). Does this
> happen with ALL ogg files, or just some? From looking at the backtrace, we
> see "len=4294958950" - looks like something is going uninitialised (or
> initialised to zero, then having a small positive integer subtracted from
> it).

I see what's going on, I just don't have any real ogg layer experience
to determine why memcpy gets bad args passed. And I don't really have
the time to dig in and figure it out. :-(

> I'll check that it still works for me soon - if it does, I'm not sure
> what's going on. If not, I'll fix it.

Please do.

> Vorbiscomment is evil disgusting code. I wrote it as a proof of concept. I
> never intended people to actually start using it as-is. There's no other
> code out there that does the same thing (there might be, but it's probably
> copying what vorbiscomment does - there wasn't anything else out there when
> it got written).

Hehehe. I gathered that much from the code. :-) I am not worried about
this really, since my code is just a proof of concept as well. I just
want to get my stuff basically working so I can have the vorbis
community examine and prod it to give feedback and to figure out how
best to integrate this.

> When I have time (probably about 3-4 weeks from now, unfortunately - exams
> are imminent), I'll probably rewrite vorbiscomment, and add the stuff to
> libvorbis that is needed to make it sane.

That would probably be a good timeframe for me to take the
proof-of-concept code and transform it into something more useable.

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert at moon.eorbit.net  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert