Re(2): [vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg

Patrick Mauritz oxygene at gmx.net
Sun Oct 15 03:30:11 PDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 11:35:51AM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Chris Hanson wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that Ogg is a multimedia container format, not an
> > audio *or* a video file format.  As such, it is incorrect to try to
> > assign Ogg files a MIME supertype of either audio or video.
>
> That may be the case, byt my concern is trying to detect and recognize a
> vorbis file. I understand that an ogg file is just a 'container' format.
>
> My concern is how to 'detect' what is inside this Ogg format and tell
> what kind of data is enclosed in it
Can you tell what's inside an .avi-file? It may contain indeo, cinepak,
dont-know-what-a-video-codec, divx, for audio uncompressed, mp3, ulaw,
dont-know-which-audio-codec, ... - theoretically it may even contain
audio-only (but then .wav is usually used) - why must xanim support all
those codecs? it would be easier to give detailed codec-information and
use different decoder for this job - after all, avi is just a framing-format
like ogg.

what happens, if ogg/squish is out and ogg123 cannot read it? it's audio/x-ogg
as well...