Re(2): [vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Sun Oct 15 01:35:51 PDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Chris Hanson wrote:

> My understanding is that Ogg is a multimedia container format, not an
> audio *or* a video file format.  As such, it is incorrect to try to
> assign Ogg files a MIME supertype of either audio or video.

That may be the case, byt my concern is trying to detect and recognize a
vorbis file. I understand that an ogg file is just a 'container' format.

My concern is how to 'detect' what is inside this Ogg format and tell
what kind of data is enclosed in it

> An Ogg file may contain audio, video, or neither.  At some point in
> the future an Ogg file could be used to contain static images.  Or
> scripts for sprites.  Or settings for effects to be applied to other
> Ogg files.  Or...

Then how does an app (like a command-line app (e.g. 123)) able to say "I
can only handle the vorbis codec". The "standard" way for it to be able
to do that is through the mime-type of the file ("oh its audio/ogg - I
can handle that" or "nope, I can't handle video/ogg").

The current way it is, we have to be able to support all possible
permutations of possible Ogg formats, or we can't support it all.

I'm just trying to outline the problem that I have right now. I'm not
necessarily advocating a change to Ogg, or criticizing the way it handles
itself. I would just like a possible solution or workaround for my
problem ;)

Regards,
Ali