Re(2): [vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Oct 15 03:24:32 PDT 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Ali Abdin wrote:

> > I disagree. Why not have mime type application/x-ogg launch a "SuperOgg"
> > program which passes on the request to the appropriate player?
>
> Oh god no! Nautilus already always to you choose which application to
> launch based on mime-type. So if you the 'proper' mime-type exists, then
> voila - problem solved. This is probably a much simpler thing to do than
> write a SuperOgg program (thereby adding yet another dependency).

Or more properly something else to configure. I've certainly met this kind
of "which media types should I be responsible for?" pop-up from various
players on Win32.

> Also - you will have "performance" issues with this approach.

What do you mean exactly? One doesn't often launch external player apps,
but there is an issue with spawning a process just to tell the browser
what icon to display.

> > Wholeheartedly agreed. Even if the format is fundamentally the same, the
> > difference between video+audio and audio only is substantial for users.
> > And it's the users we care about, right?

Heh, the blindingly correct technical focus is one of my favorite things
with this project; we've often left taking care of users to application
layer. Just writing a codec here. I guess that makes your input valuable?

Cheers,
 -r