(no subject)

Bjarke Roune bjarke500 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:47:16 PDT 2000

>>You need a set_ogg_malloc_handler(). That's it as far as the API goes.
>
>Assuming you consider it acceptable to store that information in
>global variables.

malloc() is currently a global function, so the situation is unchanged by
having a global name that refers to malloc() or a work-alike. Atleast, this
very much seems to me to be the case. Of course you actually have a clue
about how Ogg is implemented, which I don't, so you naturally are much more
qualified than me in this matter.

None-the-less, I do think you are very much exaggerating when you say that
this feature would be hard to implement. Of course, I might be completely
mistaken. In that case, I apologize for wasting your time in advance. I
don't think I am mistaken, though.

>If you're going to do this, why not just compile in a different
>malloc function?

That might be an alternative. I'm not trying to say that this is a good
solution, as I'm in no way qualified to say one way or another. However, I
find myself unable to see how this feature could be anything but simple to
implement.

As far as my memory goes all of the programs I've ever written could be
changed in this manner in no more than 10-20 minutes. (if done
intelligently, which isn't hard)

>It's more or less equivalent. There's no good reason to add
>this, that I can see.

That might be the case (again, you're much more qualified to make that
judgement than I am in this case), but that doesn't change that it's a
simple thing to implement.