[vorbis-dev] ov_comment spec

chad chad at analogself.com
Wed Oct 18 14:16:14 PDT 2000

I've been working towards a mp3info like tool, OggInfo, which will surplant
vorbiscomment in functionality, and also incorportate mp3info like
featuers. Looking at existing vorbis api calls, i find:

vorbis_comment_add() /* unsupervised string insertion */
vorbis_comment_add_tag() /* formated TAG=text insertion */
vorbis_comment_query() /* scans for matching tag (up to count duplicates) and
returns the last one */
vorbis_comment_query_count() /* returns the number of matching TAG instances
*/
vorbis_comment_clear() /* obvious */

It seems to be allowing duplicate TAG identifies is less than optimal.  I
know there are instances where you have more than one artist, for example,
and you need to allow for more than one artist value.  I'm interested in
making  as seemless an api usage as possible, so that it extremely easy to
use (not alot of application coding to get something to work) and something
that lends itself to being implemented the same way, and extensible at that.

TAG=string is very straightforward, and easy, but it allows things like
duplicates, something which is not clearly documented (except code) and which
might be handled differently depending on the application developer.  I see
ogg123 for instance is doing all the TAG string matching by hand, and also
with hardcoded TAG values.. this seems like something that should all be
taken away and packaged nicely behind an api, so that there aren't any
mistakes. Yet we also need something extensible that has streaming in mind,
and all the cool features we'd want to use this space for... (song lyrics,
html links ect...)

I'd like to implement something cleanly that wont bite us in the ass later (:
So i'm bitching now!  Lets get something writen down and worked out while
there is still a bit of time.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

gratz

-=C=-
Chad Armstrong
icecast/vorbis developer
chad at icecast.org
carmstrong at icast.com

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>