[vorbis-dev] Mac Ogg Vorbis Player

David Riley oscar at the-rileys.net
Wed Oct 11 13:38:18 PDT 2000

Kenneth Arnold wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:11:14AM -0500, Chris Hanson wrote:
> > At 10:03 PM -0400 10/10/00, David Riley wrote:
> > >Unfortunately, this release doesn't seem to fix the "tearing sound"
> > >problem.
> >
> > If you're using Standard C I/O functions on the Macintosh, make sure
> > you're using binary mode.  (I.e. you're doing fopen(foo, "rb")
> > instead of fopen(foo, "r").)  Otherwise, the Metrowerks standard I/O
> > library will "help" you and will convert all newlines to linefeeds
> > and vice versa.
> >
> > You can also link with the (NL) libraries, in which case fopen(foo,
> > "r") will do the Right Thing.
>
> But always open "rb"; never trust that the libraries will know what you
> mean. And there's no harm in specifying it even on Unix, where everything
> is binary anyway.

See, here's the problem.  I use StandardGetFile, which returns a reply
that I can really only use to get a file descriptor.  It doesn't return
a pathname, though it returns volume ID's and such that I can use for
the standard Mac file routines.  If Codewarrior had fdopen(), this would
be great, but for now I'm using the equivalent of open().  Will that not
work?  It plays the sound well enough when it doesn't clip.  Also, is
there any Mac Toolbox equivalent to fopen() that I could use with an
FSSpec instead of a pathname?