[vorbis-dev] Mac Ogg Vorbis Player

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Oct 11 06:43:25 PDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:11:14AM -0500, Chris Hanson wrote:
> At 10:03 PM -0400 10/10/00, David Riley wrote:
> >Unfortunately, this release doesn't seem to fix the "tearing sound"
> >problem.
>
> If you're using Standard C I/O functions on the Macintosh, make sure
> you're using binary mode.  (I.e. you're doing fopen(foo, "rb")
> instead of fopen(foo, "r").)  Otherwise, the Metrowerks standard I/O
> library will "help" you and will convert all newlines to linefeeds
> and vice versa.
>
> You can also link with the (NL) libraries, in which case fopen(foo,
> "r") will do the Right Thing.

But always open "rb"; never trust that the libraries will know what you
mean. And there's no harm in specifying it even on Unix, where everything
is binary anyway.

Kenneth (thankful that he didn't learn this the hard way)

Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/