[vorbis-dev] Macintosh support (again)

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Thu Oct 5 21:42:15 PDT 2000

At 11:47 AM +1000 10/6/00, Michael Smith wrote:
>True, the documentation in the tree wasn't updated when this change was
>made - but it was explained, in detail, on this list, within a day of the
>changes being made. Since you obviously read the list (or at least post to
>it, and presumably receive the list), it's not unreasonable to expect that
>you'd at least skim over it for relevent info like this.

*I* knew this.  I brought this issue up as soon as the change was
made.  However, most developers won't skim the mailing list.  They'll
just say "Oh, the build is broken, screw it."

>If you want vorbis to be more accessible to non-unix programmers (which is
>certainly an admirable goal), why not contribute makefiles/project
>files/whatever for your compiler, and keep them reasonably up to date?

In case you didn't know, I was the one who did this for MacOS.

>In
>fact, the copying os_types.h.in to os_types.h thing could then be trivially
>solved by making the makefiles (or equivalent) do this - something that
>every system I've used has been capable of, even if it's not always neat.

This is not supported by CodeWarrior on MacOS, and Vorbis is the only
thing I've ever needed it for.

I still *strongly* recommend the approach I suggest in my previous
mail.  It will Just Work on all platforms without weird tricks and
without requiring additional steps in the build process for some
platforms.

--
Christopher M. Hanson
President & CEO