[vorbis-dev] Interesting coding problem ..

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 4 13:49:34 PDT 2000

> There are samples that don't sound good even using Mode 6 (oggenc beta2)
> like http://sivut.koti.tpo.fi/julaak/Horn.wav  (2.1MB)

The wav is gone.  Monkey's Audio doesn't work for me as I have no Win/Dos
boxen.  (Feel free to mail me the WAV directly :-)

I grabbed the Vorbis sample up there and I do hear minor distortion centered
around the horn itself; I'm guessing this is another facet of '3dB resolution
is insufficient for very pure, isolated tonal sources and DC offsets'.  I'd
like to have the .wav so I can tell for sure, as this is the next thing I'll
be tackling in the encoder.

Monty