[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Nov 16 00:41:15 PST 2000

>> thing and have yet to fully look at all the code.  One thing I have been
>> wondering about is how  the data and calculations are done.  I have done
>> assembly optimisation work with the TMS320C6201 DSP which is integer only
>> (but damned fast!)
>
>I thought it topped at 33 or 40 MHz or something? But all static ram,
>of course :-)

200 MHz for the C6201. Significantly higher for the newer models (which are
otherwise quite similar to the C6201) - at least 400 MHz models are now
available, I believe. The C6 series is (as far as I know) the highest
performance DSP family on the market currently. Pretty nice little processors.

The RAM also varies - the C6 I worked with had 8 MB of SDRAM, as well as
some smaller on-chip memories (I forget what they were. SRAM is quite
possible).

Michael