[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

David Riley oscar at the-rileys.net
Thu Nov 16 13:06:32 PST 2000

Jason Hecker wrote:

> I guess, but they would be the easiest to implement first.  Apart from the
> x86 vector stuff, what other CPUs that OggVorbis runs on have SIMD
> operations that would need hand coding?

PowerPC's from the G4 line and up (that is, future processors) have
Altivec, a very nice SIMD set.  It's a lot like Intel's SSE (i.e.
128-bit registers) but with a lot of differences (it has 32 vector
registers).  It hasn't been used very widely yet, and it's really kind
of a shame that so few people have taken advantage of it.  I know
Unsanity Echo does... But aside from that, the PPC Linux crowd seems to
take better advantage of it than the Mac crowd.

Anyway, Altivec support would be great to get in here.  I don't have a
G4 (I wish I could build my Macs out of pieces like I build my Linux
boxes), but if anyone does, that's a real biggie to look at.