[vorbis-dev] cvs trunk vorbis/ compile patches

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org
Mon Nov 13 12:16:55 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
> > > But in the large scheme of things, where I am building and maintaining and
> > > automating the build system to do release, it does.  And that's why it's
> > > there.
> >
> > Speaking form a cross-development background, libtool is a nightmare.
> > It totally flakes when it comes to doing the right thing in
> > cross-compiling.  I can't count the number of times I've had to strip
> > libtool from a program in my work....  There are generally other ways
> > of handling things that don't require libtool and still work just as
> > well....  Just my $0.02.
>
> autoconf/automake/libtool are your friends in a bully-on-the-playground
> sort of way.  If you pay your dues, everything is good.  For what it does
> (e.g., beat up the other kids), it's very good.  But if you ask it to do
> something outside of its capabilities (e.g., take a test for you), it
> really sucks.
>
> s/beat up the other kids/make simple static\/shared libraries/
> s/take a test for you/make a templated C++ library, cross compile, etc./
>
> ;-)
>
> All in all, I agree with you.  auto*/libtool could be a *whole lot
> better*.  But the problem is that they are the best that are available
> right now.  We can only hope that Software Carpentry gives us something
> better...  :-\

The auto* stuff works pretty well, though, in general.  I usually have to
tweak two or three things on the average, for cross-compiling a given
program or package.  Libtool, though, frequently results in me digging
around and finding/modifying a pre-built makefile or patching around
libtool in config scripts.  Sad, since all it really needs to do is check
a couple of environment variables and USE THEM to determine which ld,
ranlib, and strip to use and it would work fine....  :-/

Later,
David