[vorbis-dev] cvs trunk vorbis/ compile patches

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Mon Nov 13 11:47:34 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> > But in the large scheme of things, where I am building and maintaining and
> > automating the build system to do release, it does.  And that's why it's
> > there.
>
> Speaking form a cross-development background, libtool is a nightmare.
> It totally flakes when it comes to doing the right thing in
> cross-compiling.  I can't count the number of times I've had to strip
> libtool from a program in my work....  There are generally other ways
> of handling things that don't require libtool and still work just as
> well....  Just my $0.02.

autoconf/automake/libtool are your friends in a bully-on-the-playground
sort of way.  If you pay your dues, everything is good.  For what it does
(e.g., beat up the other kids), it's very good.  But if you ask it to do
something outside of its capabilities (e.g., take a test for you), it
really sucks.

/beat up the other kids/make simple static\/shared libraries/
s/take a test for you/make a templated C++ library, cross compile, etc./

;-)

All in all, I agree with you.  auto*/libtool could be a *whole lot
better*.  But the problem is that they are the best that are available
right now.  We can only hope that Software Carpentry gives us something
better...  :-\

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"