[vorbis-dev] ogg stream-id options

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Tue Nov 21 00:14:50 PST 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:07:39 -0800 xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty) wrote:
>
> > Finally there is the 'metadata stream', a full fledged stream type
> > (just like vorbis is a stream type) intended to contain arbitrary
> > metadata.  Here's where pictures, bios and the kitchen sink are meant
> > to go.  Here's the only place where XML begins to make sense.
>
> Pictures don't belong in the "metadata stream" either. They're data in
> their own right and should be in their own logical substream. Same goes
> for like subtitles/lyrics.

But what if you want a picture in the metadata (album cover) ?

How would you refer, in the metadata stream to the logical substream that
includes this image?

> Actually, I think cover art belongs in a separate file altogether.
> (Download the album, get 13 copies of the graphics!) But that's a
> level above, and it could make sense in a streaming context.

True - but its not only "useful" for cover art...COver art is just an
example (and what if you download a single!) Don't ask me for "other"
applications ;) I'm not creative enough to come up with them :P