[vorbis-dev] some (basic?) development questions...

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue May 16 04:17:45 PDT 2000

> Would it perhaps be wiser to do my own framing of pages and packets?  I
> guess if I did raw reads and re-framed the first few pages myself (i.e.
> re-framed all the pages containing header info), I could do in-place
> comment editing of sorts.

You could do so, but I'm not sure it saves you any work (and I'll warn that
getting the framing exactly right is tricky and should have the hell tested out
of it; this is the foundation the entire bitstream builds on).

You'll also need to be prepared for the worst case where each page is at or
very near maximum size.  Although unlikely, if a bitstream is built this way
one would in fact need to peel open every page and re-wrap it.  It's not an
extremely complex thing to do (re-wrapping every page is only marginally more
difficult than re-wrapping one), and it is a pathological case, but there you
go :-)

> Is that a wise decision, or is it discouraged?  Certainly I'm more prone
> to screw up than the lib, but the framing format seems pretty set-in-stone
> at this point, so it hopefully wouldn't be too big of a deal?

Libvorbis gives you *almost* all the infrastructure you need to build arbitrary
pages.  I can (and should) fill in the missing pieces.

If you really do want to do it yourself (and the object is not avoiding extra
work), I don't see any compelling reason not to.  You'll certainly know the
bitstreams inside and out afterward... The ogg bitstream format is relatively
set in stone, yes; it's been unmodified for more than a year at this point.

Monty