[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Mon May 15 22:22:48 PDT 2000

On 15 May 2000 22:48:31 Frank Earl <fearl at airmail.net> wrote:
> Uh, while I'd bet good money that it'd be an awesome read, I think I'd
> pass, beings that I concur wholeheartedly.  XML/HTML/SGML all have their
> place; beign in everything in creation ISN'T it.- especially not in
> Vorbis, I think.

XML could be used with Vorbis in quite an effective way.  I certainly
agree with keeping it out of the comment field (which I think is what you
were getting at)

> No bloated XML either.  I can see word processor, spreadsheet,
> presentation, etc. documents benefiting from the use of XML in some form
> or another for use as a common format.  But to put something like that
> into this?  Whatever for?  It's not a representation of a printed
> document- of which XML was really designed for.

I never really thought of XML as being a printed document language as much
as I did a data interchange language, which is what is happening with
metadata.  I think Robert Kaye <robert at moon.eorbit.net> has worked up a
DTD for this sort of thing, and furthermore a database for storing the
data.  I think it would be very nice if one could pass the CD Index ID and
track number of a specific song to the database and download the
appropriate XML metadata for that song and interleave it with the vorbis
stream.

Tony Arcieri