[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 15 15:56:24 PDT 2000

> string into the comment field for easy display purposes.  The comment
> field is just going to turn into a slightly less stupid version of
> ID3 at this rate.

A note here: My objections to ID3 do not involve the functionality ID3 wanted
to provide.  I dislike ID3 because the implementation leaves so much to be
desired (and should not have happened at all because preexisting mechanisms
existed but were ignored... the 'not invented here' mentality strikes again).

> What exactly is intended to go into the metadata stream?

Here are my personal comment field/metadata stream guidelines:

The comment field is meant to be used alot like someone jotting a quick note
on the bottom of a polaroid photo.  A little information to remember the photo
by and explain it to others.  A short, to-the-point text note that need not
only be a couple words, but isn't goign to be more than a short paragraph.
The essentials, in other words, whatever they turn out to be...

"Dana and Monty, Honeymoon in Hawaii 1999, kayaking along Na Pali coast,
approaching a sea cave"

One would not staple an eight page document with additional URLs, lyrics,
multimedia clips, cover art, translations in 15 languages, etc, to a holidy
photo.

The metadata stream is for all this.  Everything you might want to include tied
to the track that doesn't belong in the text comments goes here.  Streamed
lyrics, translations, cover art, still images, short interviews or trivia
snippets, etc...

Monty