[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 15 15:43:44 PDT 2000

> I believe UTF-8 presents its bytes in big-endian format.  So if ogg is using
> little-endian, there's bytesex mixing happening here.

Ogg is 'littleendian', but not in the way you're arguing.  In Ogg, there are
no octects.  There are no word boundaries.  There are only bits read in order.

If UTF-8 is octet based, and the octets are in a specific order, endianness is
irrelevant. The behavior will not change due to the endianness of the host.

Eh, anyway, this boils down to a semantic, not practical, argument :-)  Looked
at from different angles, the argument that implicit endianness conversions
are happening is justifiable.  But it's still the case that there aren't any
details that are going to bite.

Monty