[vorbis-dev] Semi-off-topic ramblings

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Sat May 13 21:31:23 PDT 2000

I'm curious if anyone else is at all fed up with the current
state-of-affairs of media support under *IX.  As things stand it's rather
a pain to add support for a new codec/framing format to an application,
and it seems like were someone to step up and design a system which
abstracts media support from end-user applications and supports drop-in
modules for framing formats and codecs, it would greatly ease the process
that new formats like ogg and vorbis are going through right now.

Certainly the drop-in module solution is the case with some applications
(e.g. xmms), but wouldn't it be nice if with one drop-in module all
applications could support a codec?

I've given the subject quite a bit of thought (although I'm probably not
the one who should be thinking about how to implement this sort of thing)
If anyone else feels the same way or would like to discuss the idea I'd be
glad to hear it.

Tony Arcieri