[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Problems running example encoder/decoder

Daniel Phillips phillips at bonn-fries.net
Fri May 12 00:23:21 PDT 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000, you wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
>
> > What I would like,for convenience in testing, is a program like sox,
> > but reads a file in whatever sound format (like sox does) and
> > produces a stream of raw samples in the bitness/signedness/
> > stereoness of your choice.  Is there any such utility?
>
> Is this a trick question?
>
> Sox is a program like sox. (-:  Just do one of these.
>
> % sox [input options] -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -w -s - | encoder_example > foo.ogg

Ah, I looked at the man page for sox and somehow missed this part:

   "The input and output files may be standard input and output.  This is
  specified by '-'. "

Anyhow, you can call me a happy customer, thanks everybody for all the help.  By
the way, this is a really kiss-ass project, did anyone ever tell you that?  Yes,
thought so...

So, with sox there to do all the messy conversions, what is wrong with the
syntax of encoder_example and decoder_example just as they stand?  IOW, why not
rename them as oggencode and oggdecode ? or just ogg and unogg ?

--
Daniel