[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Problems running example encoder/decoder

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Thu May 11 23:24:02 PDT 2000

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> What I would like,for convenience in testing, is a program like sox,
> but reads a file in whatever sound format (like sox does) and
> produces a stream of raw samples in the bitness/signedness/
> stereoness of your choice.  Is there any such utility?

Is this a trick question?

Sox is a program like sox. (-:  Just do one of these.

% sox [input options] -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -w -s - | encoder_example > foo.ogg
% decoder_example < foo.ogg | sox -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -w -s - [output options]

Even better, put it in a wrapper like this:

  % cat to_ogg
  #!/bin/sh
  sox "$@" -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -w -s - | encoder_example
  % to_ogg foo.aiff > foo.ogg
  % cat from_ogg
  #!/bin/sh
  decoder_example | sox -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -w -s - "$@"
  % from_ogg < foo.ogg -c 1 -r 22050 -u foo.au

--
                                        K<bob>
kbob at jogger-egg.com, http://www.jogger-egg.com/