[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Problems running example encoder/decoder

Daniel Phillips phillips at bonn-fries.net
Thu May 11 01:42:37 PDT 2000

> The linus.wav you sent was some odd non-PCM wav.  No util I pointed at it could
> read it.

(I made it using sox, from a .au file.  Yes, I agree that most utilities think
it's a strange file.  Still, it should compress.)

The orginal linus.au file compresses and decompresses successfuly using the
command:

cat ~/linus.au | encoder_example | decoder_example >foo

but foo, when catted into /dev/audio, does not resemble the orginal very much.
I suppose that is because .au is the wrong input format.  Since I don't have
any docs to tell me what the right input format is... maybe I should just ask:
which audio format is intended?  How many bits/sample?

And a side question: how is this going to work for stereo?

The compression problem with the .wav still remains.

--
Daniel