[vorbis-dev] artifacts, format?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed May 10 17:02:10 PDT 2000

> However, I know that there are some types of sounds that still don't
> quite work with Vorbis (well, that's true for pretty much any lossy
> codec).  I think I found a weak spot.  In the first song I encoded,
> there is a short low-frequency slide.  At that point, I noticed some
> artifacts.  They're hard to describe, so I can provide an audio clip if
> someone would like to hear it themselves..

I'd be *very* interested in that clip.  Feel free to mail it to me (just me,
not the whole list).

> I'm also curious to know about the stability of the audio format.  Will
> it be changed significantly in the near future?  Would it be safe for me
> to encode something today, and expect it to play with the
> whatever-is-then-current player a year from now?  I imagine I should
> wait, but I just thought I'd ask.

As of the merge I did on monday, the 1.0 file format is frozen.  It's still
technically in beta (that is, we could yet find a deep bug that fixing would
break compatability) but maintaining compatability is now officially important.
 I'm finally encoding things for posterity myself...

Monty