[vorbis-dev] artifacts, format?

Mike Hicks hick0088 at tc.umn.edu
Tue May 2 20:20:34 PDT 2000

First off, I'd like to say thanks for this project.  I know that it is
needed.  I'm happy to see that work is progressing, and especially happy
at the sound quality that I got out of my first encoding and decoding.

However, I know that there are some types of sounds that still don't
quite work with Vorbis (well, that's true for pretty much any lossy
codec).  I think I found a weak spot.  In the first song I encoded,
there is a short low-frequency slide.  At that point, I noticed some
artifacts.  They're hard to describe, so I can provide an audio clip if
someone would like to hear it themselves..

I'm also curious to know about the stability of the audio format.  Will
it be changed significantly in the near future?  Would it be safe for me
to encode something today, and expect it to play with the
whatever-is-then-current player a year from now?  I imagine I should
wait, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Dinner not ready: (A)bort