[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 15 15:35:09 PDT 2000

> > What if the comment fields were defined to be HTML/XML?  That way you
> > could put ordinary text in them - only "<" and a couple of other
> > characters would require special treatment.
>
> Woah... aren't we going a tad far for what was supposed to be a simple
> comment field?

Yes.  No HTML/XML in the comments. Sorry.  I'll build up a good rant if
everyone is really interested.

> I may be mistaken on this, but I thought the comments field was just there
> to store absolutely essential "I need this immediately forget everything
> else" type information.  Now there seems to be a great deal of talk about
> putting in an insane number of details...

Well, I want it to be extensible, but trivially so.  A few fields for a
player/search engine to look for and a space for people to put in what they
like (and be able to just display it all if desired).  Very easy.  very
flexible.  No XML parser involved.

Monty