[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 12 23:20:27 PDT 2000

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2000, you wrote:
> > OK, looks like it'll be UTF-8.  I'll document it.
>
> The nice thing about UTF-8 is, that's *all* you have to do - document it -
> because it is in every respect just a normal stream of 8 bit characters.

UTF8 stinks for anything but Romance text, but its now so widespread in new
systems that choosing it is a no-brainer. However, I haven't seen anyone
mention using language tags, and the possibility of having titles in multiple
languages. The lack of this feature is a significant drawback with the
labelling mechanisms in most existing content formats.

Steve