[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri May 12 21:09:17 PDT 2000

>The comment header is a list of eight-bit-clean vectors; the number of
vectors
>is bounded to 2^32 and the length of each vector is limited to 2^32 bytes.
 The
>vector length is encoded; the vector is not null terminated.  In addition
to the
>vector list, there is a single vector for vendor name (also 8 bit clean,
length
>encoded in 32 bits).  Libvorbis currently sets the vendor string to
"Xiphophorus
>libVorbis I 20000508"

The vector length is encoded? This information isn't available, currently,
if so. The vorbis_comments structure gives the NUMBER of comments, the
vendor string, and the comments themselves - but right now, we HAVE to
assume they're null terminated. This would be a good thing to fix soon, if
it's not meant to be like this, before there's too much software around
that assumes they will always be null terminated.

Michael