[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri May 12 20:50:58 PDT 2000

>Is the comment header optional? I'd like it to be. I always remove the id3
>tag from mp3s, since the only thing it's "good" for in my experience is
>displaying a mis-spelled or wrong artist/song name in WinAmp, even though
>I've fixed the filename.
>
>A tool to edit/remove/insert the comment header would be nice.

The comment header is NOT optional. It is, however, entirely permissible
for it to not actually have any comments in it (I think the 'vendor' is
still required, though - this is currently set to "Xiphophorus libVorbis I
20000508" as Monty mentioned earlier.)

So no, it's not optional, but you aren't required to have anything like
title in there.

Tools to edit the comments would be nice. I was thinking of writing one
later today, actually (If I can get my comp sci and physics projects done
in time...). Since I hate (HATE HATE HATE) writing actual interface code,
it'd probably be pretty simplistic, but I'll try to make it clear so that
other people can add a nice interface to it.

Might take some work though. Could be a few days until I find time to
finish it.

>Perhaps a vendor prefix should be mandatory, in order to avoid polluting the
>global namespace? Private individuals could use their name or handle as the
>vendor string, companies should of course use the company name.
>I.e. something like this:
>
>J_RANDOM_HACKER.FIELDNAME=Something
>RED_HAT.FIELDNAME=Something else
>MICROSOFT.FIELDNAME= ;)

I was also thinking something like this, though more along the lines of
X-whatever=something for any 'unlisted' field, like how mime types work.

Michael