[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Patrik Rådman patrik at infa.abo.fi
Fri May 12 20:27:22 PDT 2000

Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:

> The text comment header is the second (of three) header packets that begin a Vorbis bitstream.  It is meant for short, text comments, not arbitrary metadata; arbitrary metadata will be put in a metadata stream, likely an XML stream type.  We've discussed this in length-- several times :-)

Is the comment header optional? I'd like it to be. I always remove the id3
tag from mp3s, since the only thing it's "good" for in my experience is
displaying a mis-spelled or wrong artist/song name in WinAmp, even though
I've fixed the filename.

A tool to edit/remove/insert the comment header would be nice.

[Snip]
> Individual 'vendors' may use non-standard field names within reason.  The
> proper use of comment fields should be clear through context at this point.
> Abuse will be discouraged.

Perhaps a vendor prefix should be mandatory, in order to avoid polluting the
global namespace? Private individuals could use their name or handle as the
vendor string, companies should of course use the company name.
I.e. something like this:

J_RANDOM_HACKER.FIELDNAME=Something
RED_HAT.FIELDNAME=Something else
MICROSOFT.FIELDNAME= ;)

--
  Patrik Rådman  ·  patrik at iki dot fi  ·  http://www.iki.fi/patrik/
       "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."  -- RFC 1925