[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri May 12 15:36:47 PDT 2000

> UTF-8 is your friend.  UTF-8 encodes the entire Unicode character set,
> and it's an identity mapping for 7 bit ASCII.

OK, looks like it'll be UTF-8.  I'll document it.

> Any reason you aren't restricting this to alphanumeric plus
> underscore?  Do you really want variable names like ":-)" and "'%^]\''"?

Well, I didn't see any reason *to* restrict it.  I didn't think of the name
':-)', but I have to say it's appealing in an unsettling sort of way ;-)

I don't actually have a strong feeling on that issue.

> Um, TITLE?  (Or is that what you mean by TRACK?)

Yeah, that's what I meant.

> Are variables required to be unique?  Or can I have,
>
> 	ARTIST=Dizzy Gillespie
> 	ARTIST=Sonny Rollins
> 	ARTIST=Sonny Stitt

I'd neglected to think of that!  That does seem cleaner than 'ARTIST=Dizzy
Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt'

It seems like a good idea to allow it *and* document that it's allowed with an
example as above.  Comments?

Monty