[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Fri May 12 14:53:19 PDT 2000

Monty wrote:

> Implications: field names should not be 'internationalized'; this is a
> concession to simplicity not an attempt to piss off the majority of the world
> that doesn't speak English.  Field *contents*, however, should be
> internationalizable... suggestions on the proper encoding for that?

UTF-8 is your friend.  UTF-8 encodes the entire Unicode character set,
and it's an identity mapping for 7 bit ASCII.

> [A variable name is a] case-insensitive field name that may consist
> of ASCII 0x20 through 0x7D, 0x3D ('=') excluded.  ASCII 0x41 through
> 0x5A inclusive (A-Z) is to be considered equivalent to ASCII 0x61
> through 0x7A inclusive (a-z).

Any reason you aren't restricting this to alphanumeric plus
underscore?  Do you really want variable names like ":-)" and "'%^]\''"?

> TRACK
> ALBUM
> ARTIST
> LABEL
> CONTENT
>
> (so there's the seed of a list.  Please submit obvious one's I've forgotten...)

Um, TITLE?  (Or is that what you mean by TRACK?)

Are variables required to be unique?  Or can I have,

        ARTIST=Dizzy Gillespie
        ARTIST=Sonny Rollins
        ARTIST=Sonny Stitt

--