[vorbis-dev] Vocoders

seanl at literati.org seanl at literati.org
Thu May 11 10:07:48 PDT 2000

The DoD has a 2400 bps vocoder with quality similar to 4kbps CELP.  It's
called Mixed Excitation Linear Predictor.  I've played around with it and
it has excellent quality (though nowhere near GSM; you can still tell
you're using a vocoder) and handles background noise pretty well.  This is
definitely more recent than LPC-10.  GSM is 13 kbps, so I suppose it
depends on what sort of bitrate and quality you want.

http://www.plh.af.mil/ddvpc/index.html

This page has MELP, LPC, CELP, and CVSD.  I didn't see source code there,
so if you want source code for MELP, email me and I'll track it down (I
have it on a machine without Internet access right now).