[vorbis-dev] Hello ... and a few comments.

Rob Fletcher rpf1 at york.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 01:37:17 PDT 2000

Hi,

I'm new here. This is all good news. I work on SGI systems and
have built the encoder and decoder to work on SGI. I have also
added code to the decoder_example so it writes out an "aifc"
file using the SGI AF library.

I had some compile problems for the main code using good old plain
IRIX "cc". Simple fixes as follows ...

In any source module which uses "alloca" you MUST include an extra
header file <alloca.h> ... I quote from the man page:

        "The #include <alloca.h> is required."

Also, then wherever alloca is used, especially in initialisations,
it MUST be cast to the correct type, e.g. in "mdct.c"

void mdct_forward(mdct_lookup *init, double *in, double *out){
  int n=init->n;
  double *x=(double*)alloca(sizeof(double)*(n/2));
  double *w=(double*)alloca(sizeof(double)*(n/2));

There are other modules which also require casting to long* and
some other types.

IRIC "cc" barfs at all these initialisations!

As a quick fix I added the "#include <alloca.h> to misc.h and
added the dreaded "#ifdef SGI# around it. I then fixed configure
to add this define if the host type is "irix".

The only problem was to add misc .h to psy.c (and #ifdef'd) it as
well.

So, adding the alloca.h to misc.h was almost right, but not quite!!!

Once this was done all was just fine. If someone would care to check
I have put an "ogg" file on my anon ftp. It's some jazz/blues sax
played by my 15yr old daughter, but encoded and decoded quite well.
I would like to know if other "non-sgi" systems can decode it OK.
This way I know my fixes have been sufficient.

        ftp.york.ac.uk
                pub/users/rpf1/decorate.ogg

I'm not a CVS/hacker/patcher etc ... just interested in audio
(I work closely with Music/Music Technology here at the Uni).

If someone would care to patch up the source tree to at least
get the casts done, this would help the codebase, and aid the
portability a wee bit more. A solution to including "alloca.h"
for IRIX need to be found ... perhaps #ifdef is what we have
to live with ...bah!

Oh well, please let me know it the file decodes OK and sounds
OK.

All the best, and I will continue to work on this. If I can
submit an example (e.g. the example to decode to aifc file on
SGI), then let me know.

Cheers,

Rob.

| Dr R P Fletcher    (Rob)   | Email     R.Fletcher at york.ac.uk    |
| Graphics Coordinator       | Phone     +44 (0)1904 433816       |
| Computing Service          | Frontdesk +44 (0)1904 433800       |
| University of York         | Fax       +44 (0)1904 433740       |
| YORK YO10 5DD, UK          | ICQ UIN   4019164                  |