De-encoding DLL? (was Re: [vorbis-dev] Win32 DLL)

John Zitterkopf zitt at bigfoot.com
Sat Jun 24 01:06:35 PDT 2000

Mike,

> >Is anyone working on moving the decoder/player into DLL form?

> However, it's dubious whether there's any advantage in having it in this
> form. Having a shared library (or dll) has two main advantages: it takes
up
> less disk space, and multiple programs using it can share it in memory.
The
> latter isn't really relevent - one rarely runs multiple player programs
> simultaneously. The former is relevent, but the dll would be approximately
> 70k - hardly enough to worry about. (This is based on the size of the
> winamp plugin - which has the full decoder, not much else, and is in dll
> form).

I intend to support cross coding of mp3 and vorbis formats in my
application. DLLs are needed to "intergrate" the encoding / decoding engines
into my non-C program. I want to be able to incorporate the latest bug fixes
when my application is "updated".

I just found my VC++ disk which I needed to reinstall after I had to install
Win2k from scratch.

I haven't honestly looked at the source code for Vorbis... but intend to
this weekend. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the format; but am
concerned about keeping pace with the rapid development team that seems to
be fixing bugs left and right. I've never been involved with an open source
movement... and am concerned that any changes I make would get "lost" within
hrs of finish it.

John