De-encoding DLL? (was Re: [vorbis-dev] Win32 DLL)

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jun 23 22:12:28 PDT 2000

At 09:18 PM 6/23/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Is anyone working on moving the decoder/player into DLL form?

As far as I know, not currently. However, it would be very simple to do so.
I could do so in about 5 minutes if I had any idea about how to build dlls
under windows (it's not something I've ever had a reason to figure out in
the past), or if someone were to advise me on how to do this.

However, it's dubious whether there's any advantage in having it in this
form. Having a shared library (or dll) has two main advantages: it takes up
less disk space, and multiple programs using it can share it in memory. The
latter isn't really relevent - one rarely runs multiple player programs
simultaneously. The former is relevent, but the dll would be approximately
70k - hardly enough to worry about. (This is based on the size of the
winamp plugin - which has the full decoder, not much else, and is in dll
form).

Michael