[vorbis-dev] Compiling with GCC on win32?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jun 23 16:49:44 PDT 2000

> Why does the source use `int64_t'.

It needs a 64 bit type an int64_t is specified by POSIX and was supported by
SysV and BSD anyway.

> Is this suppose to be built
> with GCC?

It's meant to be compiled by a POSIX compiler, of which GCC is one.  In most
cases, though, this is a header issue, not a compiler issue.

>  I have Mumit Kahns gcc, version 2.8.1.  Do I need a
> 2.9.5 version to get the `int64_t' type?

No, you need appropriate libc headers.

>  I have substituted a
> typedef of `long long' in os_types.h.  This seems to make sense?

Sure, but this should be checked for in autoconf, not os_types.h, because there
are several million possible OS/Compiler/Header variation/combinations, and
we're not going to stuff them all in os_types.h.  That's for systems (like
win32) that nominally do not use autoconf.

> The rint() macro also seems to be having some problems.  I guess
> there are two meanings to __GNUC__ and _WIN32.  One is the OS and
> the other is the compiler type.

Ah, this is Windows, OK.  Actually there has already been a proposed fix to
the win32 entries in os_types.h to check for GCC and !UNIX...

Monty