[vorbis-dev] Ogg/Vorbis DLL for Winamp - PiMP Installer

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 18:56:28 PDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:08:55PM -0500, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a couple of ideas for ogg123.  Would it be possible to use libesd for
> playing Vorbis files with ogg123?  It so happens that the majority of people
> using Linux desktops are running GNOME, and we have to suspend EsounD first.
> Besides, libesd does a great job at mixing multiple streams and adds network
> transparency.  Thus, ogg123 would be absolutely ready for prime time on network
> stations (a fancy name for X terminals).

Yes, it would be possible; I am actually looking at some cross-platform
sound output libraries, and that would include esound, ALSA, etc. However,
I am leaving soon and will be going for 3 weeks wihout net access. So if
anyone else can work something like that in (grep ogg123 for /dev/dsp),
submit your patch to someone with commit access (e.g., Monty). I was pointed
to a 'libao', just to get you started. Ideally, the library should be small
enough that we do not have to depend on the user having something that is not
in the CVS tree to build it.

As for EsounD + OSS, try 'esddsp <command> <args>'. It's an LD_PRELOAD loader
that inserts a wrapper so that all /dev/dsp accesses go to EsounD.

Kenneth