[vorbis-dev] Win32 DLL

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Tue Jun 20 13:36:34 PDT 2000

On 2000-06-20 at 13:23 John Selbie wrote:

>On a related note.  Is there any interest in development of a Win32
>ACM  (Audio Compression Manager) DLL or DirectShow filter for the
>Vorbis codec?   The work consists of compiling the code as a DLL and
>exposing a DriverProc  function (ACM) or a set of COM interfaces
>(DShow).
>
>DShow filters (.ax files) plug into Windows Media Player and other
>apps.   While the filter code interface is somewhat complex, DShow
>client apps such  as WMP can integrate new file formats very easily
>with the addition of a new  filter dll.
>
>ACM DLLs expose a simpler interface, usually suitable for frame
>based  codecs, and are used in numerous apps that use audio
>compression.
>
>I'd be interested in signing up to do this work.  Any interest here?

Sure, Florian Bruckner <h9651030 at miraculix.wu-wien.ac.at> and I
<dimitry at andric.com> have already started building a ACM codec. It is
far from finished, however, only the framework is in place. No
decoding or encoding is done at the moment, we're still figuring out
how to do that. :) Reading the libvorbis docs will surely help, but
I'm a little short on time at the moment...

Also, I have no experience with DirectShow filters, but this would be
a good thing to make. If you have any knowledge of this, you might
want to start a project for it. As far as I know, there hasn't been
such a project set up by anyone. Anyone?

The current source for the ACM codec has been put at SourceForge, you
should be be able to check it out anonymously with

cvs -z3
- -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.vorbisACM.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vorbisACM
co oggACM

There's also a web page, but there's not much to see there. If you
have any comments or suggestions for the ACM codec, please mail them
to <vorbisacm-developer at lists.sourceforge.net>. If you mail either
Florian or me privately, it won't be archived in a central place...

Cheers,
- --
Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com>
PGP key: http://andric.com/dim.asc
KeyID: 4096/1024-0x2E2096A3
Fingerprint: 7AB4 62D2 CE35 FC6D 4239 4FCD B05E A30A 2E20 96A3