[vorbis-dev] The Oft Maligned comment field, initial thoughts.

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Sun Jun 18 13:17:51 PDT 2000

At 12:40 2000/06/18 -0700, you wrote:
This:
>ARTIST should refer to the person or persons who played the piece in
>question. A seperate field, such as ORIGINALARTIST or COMPOSER or something
>similar would be better fit than using a generic DESCRIPTION field for a
>specific purpose. Note that the scenario described also applies to covers.
>On a seperate note, I would recommend at least two or three GENRE fields,
>with some sort of order placed on them.

And this:

>I'm not current on what kind of information CDDB and other such services
>provide, but in general it's very important to populate as much meta data as
>possible. Right now, a lot of the MP3's out there don't have full ID3v1 tags
>even, some dont have any data in them. This just makes it a lot harder to
>make intelligent jukeboxes, etc.

Both demonstrate what was mentioned before.  No one will be happy with a
compromise, and it's all valid reasons.

It was mentioned previously that Monty's compromise is a good one, and I
agree, but how hard would it be to change it, if necessary later on?

I'm worried about the ID3 effect.  Sticking with the original one, only to
find it woefully inadequate for the users needs (those who use it at all),
and suddenly there needs to be a big upgrade.

Also, I don't remember this being stated anywhere, but the MetaData will be
available first during streaming, so that you know what the song is, and
get all the MetaData before (or as) the song starts playing, as opposed to
after with ID3V1, yes?

Adam
Toronto, Ontario, Canada