[vorbis-dev] The Oft Maligned comment field, initial thoughts.

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Sun Jun 18 12:40:36 PDT 2000

Just a quick comment on this.

ARTIST should refer to the person or persons who played the piece in
question. A seperate field, such as ORIGINALARTIST or COMPOSER or something
similar would be better fit than using a generic DESCRIPTION field for a
specific purpose. Note that the scenario described also applies to covers.
On a seperate note, I would recommend at least two or three GENRE fields,
with some sort of order placed on them.

I'm not current on what kind of information CDDB and other such services
provide, but in general it's very important to populate as much meta data as
possible. Right now, a lot of the MP3's out there don't have full ID3v1 tags
even, some dont have any data in them. This just makes it a lot harder to
make intelligent jukeboxes, etc.

Naturally an ideal situation is one where you can build a playlist of all
your digital content, then pick that you want to pick a genre, or everything
by an artist, or all the live bootlegs you have, etc. Even though there is a
push to do such things with current media types, it's questionable whether
or not they will be useful in the marketplace because of the current state
of digital content.

Custom fields are good, but there should be standard fields for as much
information as possible.

-Dan

--
Dan Conti