[vorbis-dev] Argh, preecho mistriggers

Magnus Roth magnus1 at mailandnews.com
Sat Jun 17 05:27:11 PDT 2000

 >In case people on the list don't know it, A Vorbis tester (who's email
I've
 >lost! If you're on the list, speak up!) is maintaining a vorbis audio
quality
 >test page:
 >
 >http://hem.passagen.se/ingets1/vorbis.htm
 >
 >He's doing us the great service of hunting down samples that break
Vorbis (so
 >we don't have to :-)
 >
 >In any case, it turns out that the trumpets in the dr4 sample are
reliably >mistriggering the preecho detector (which implies either a
large bug in the detector, >or general borkkenness which must be fixed).
The artifacts in the sample are due >entirely to Vorbis trying to encode
the trumpets entirely in short blocks (which will >suck for strongly
periodic/harmonic waveforms, as produced by brass instruments).

 >Just a heads up; if someone else runs across this artifact (it
manifests as
 >'wayyy to much noise/rasp'), you know that I knwo about it.
 >Monty

Hmm that one was a quick "hack" :-) and not meant to be seen by the
masses...
So there are many spelling and grammar errors(did not even do a spelling
check...), as english is not my native language(had to blame it on
something ;).
Anyway would it be possible to set up an www page(hint,hint) or ftp
server that deals with sound errors.
People could then submit their sound clip that has errors. And maybe
even an SQL database so there aren't any reduncy and developers could
mark out samples that has been fixed.
I would do it myself but i have not found any "free" www servers that
has these capabilities. And i have a modem connection...
Good or bad idea?

bye
Magnus